Work Permits

Common Wealth Serves as a Work Permit Office

Some of our Youth Programs staff members are also Work Permit Officers and can create work permits for any youth who has recently obtained a job. Work Permits are made by appointment only, within the hours of 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. Please call or email Ashley Hoeft, Youth Workforce Development Manager at 608-516-3437 or

What do I need to bring to get a work permit?

Please review the following list to be sure you bring everything you need to receive a work permit. Copies of documents will not be accepted.

  1. Proof of age – either a birth certificate, Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin State ID, or a baptismal certificate.
  2. Social security card.
  3. Letter from the minor’s employer stating the employer’s intention to hire the minor, describing the job duties and hours of work, and signed by the employer’s representative.
  4. Letter from the minor’s parent or guardian consenting to the employment. Alternatively, parents/guardians may sign the letter from the employer.
  5. $10.00 to cover the work permit fee. We accept cash (exact change only) or checks (payable to Common Wealth).

The youth must be present in order to create the work permit. Common Wealth will issue a receipt along with the work permit.

More info from the State of Wisconsin

More information on work permits can be found at


If you have any questions, please contact Ashley Hoeft, Youth Workforce Development Manager, at 608.516.3437 or

Recent Posts